ST. TERESA OF CALCUTTA CATHOLIC SCHOOL HANDBOOK
For a copy of our school handbook, please click here.
When a student is absent from school, he/she must have a parent or guardian call the school the same day between 7:15 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. to indicate the reason for that absence. If the parents do not call the school, they will be contacted. Calls from students are not accepted. NOTE: Emails to the teacher or school office are not accepted. Contact Information - Conewago Campus 717-632-8715 McSherrystown Campus 717-637-3135
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
If your child is staying after school for an activity (Example: sports practice, bowling, choir, student council, scouts, or detention, etc.), parents must send a note to school to advise of that day’s change. If a note is not received, we cannot accept the student’s verbal communication. Effective immediately, children will not be permitted to stay after school without a parent's written permission.
Notes must be sent to school at the maximum on a weekly basis. If sending the note weekly, please indicate the days your child will be staying after school. We cannot accept notes for the entire season or year. PLEASE do not email this information to your child’s teacher.
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
Click here for the Arrival and Dismissal Procedures for both the Conewago and McSherrystown campuses. You will receive car tag signs in your family folder for your use.
CELL PHONE POLICY
Cell phones, and similar devices, are distractive and disruptive to the educational process. The school has emergency procedures established to provide for the safety of the children. Use of cell phones could disrupt these procedures and are therefore discouraged.
If a student has an emergency during the school day, they may use the phone in the office. Parents who need to contact a student during the school day must contact the office. Any changes to after school transportation arrangements must be made through the office, preferably by a written note in the morning.
This policy applies to cell phones, pagers or any telecommunication devices that are capable of two-way transmission, be audio, video, or text.
Cell phones will not be permitted for students in grades K-5 (Exception may be granted after consultation with the principal). Students in grades 6-8 may bring cell phones to school under the following conditions:
- Parents must sign a permission form prior to Teresastudent bringing a cell phone to school.
- All cell phones will be placed in a container, or plastic bag labeled with the student's name and grade. It must be dropped off in the school office in the morning and retrieved by the student in the afternoon, prior to leaving school.
- Cell phones must be turned OFF while the student is on school property, during the school day.
- After school use of cell phones on school property will be at the discretion of the adult in charge of the activity.
- Cell phone use on the school bus is determined by the policies of the individual transportation authority.
- Any cell phone not turned into the office will be confiscated. A parent must make arrangements with Administration to retrieve the phone.
- Inappropriate or unlawful use of a cell phone at school or any after school activity will result in further disciplinary action.
- St. Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School shall not investigate or be held liable for loss, damage or misuse of any cellular device brought to school by a student.
EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSINGS
Should there be an occasion when weather or some other emergency causes a delayed opening, closing or early dismissal of school, parents may receive information as early as 6:00 a.m. St. Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School follows the decision of the Conewago Valley School District.
For this purpose, we will only post on the following television station:
Television: WGAL TV - Lancaster (Channel 8).
We will also notify parents via the MMS OneCall System. In addition, we will notify parents via email. (This service is available to families who receive the Weekly Update electronically.)
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN SCHOOL DISTRICTS AT THE TIME OF ARRIVAL, THE STUDENTS WILL BE SUPERVISED.
TECHNOLOGY & INTERNET ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
Computers are a valuable tool for education at Saint Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School. The faculty and staff encourage the proper use of computers and related technology including the Internet. Students and all users of computer technology have a responsibility to use these tools properly and in accordance with the school policy. No student will be permitted to use the Internet or any technological device without this agreement signed and on file with the computer/technology specialist. Please click here for a copy of our school policy. Please click here for a copy of the Technology Agreement.